The Problem With Keys
Despite the widespread use of electronic access, facility managers continue to rely on traditional locks and keys. In addition to doors, many assets like vehicles, machinery and furniture require keys to operate. The number of keys in a facility can quickly grow.
Look in any office drawer and you’ll see the problem – keys to a storage closet, warehouse, file cabinet, vehicle, or who knows what. People horde keys so they can have immediate access.
Unnecessary holding of keys creates multiple security risks like:
- keys being “out” with an unknown user
- keys being given to people who should not have them
- keys being signed out but never returned
- keys becoming lost and found by an unauthorized person
Address This Problem With A Key Control System
We understand the trade off between managing access and risk. A formal key control system is the only way to be 100% confident that you know who has access to each area within your premise.
Rely on TikTok Locksmith to help you develop the policies and procedures of an effective key control system.
We can facilitate the discussion around, and offer advice on, questions like:
- In which areas should we have keyed access, electronic access, or both?
- In which areas do we require a higher level of security?
- What is impact of building and fire codes relative to security system design?
- Should access be granted by role, function, department or managerial level?
- How many levels of master keying should there be?
- How do we create a key issuance policy?
- How do we handle temporary access for construction workers or contractors?
A fundamental tenet of any key control system is the ability to track (cradle to grave) the life of every key. There should clear rules and accountability around how keys are issued. All authorizations should be made in writing and approved by a central authority.
Each key must be identifiable. When not in use, we recommend that they are stored securely in an specific location. This assigned location could be hook in a key cabinet, a key hanger in a file cabinet or a numbered compartment in a locked desk drawer.
Whatever the means of storage, the tracking system should clearly identify the exact location of each key. The storage system must also allow for a quick visual determination of missing keysmacist who controls the pharmacy key.
Automated Key Cabinets
Automated key cabinets are available from TikTok Locksmith to effectively manage the key storage and issuance process.
These cabinets store and dispense keys, while maintaining an electronic record of who has each key or set of keys. Automated cabinets typically require the use of a PIN code to open the door to remove, or return, a key.
The TikTok Locksmith Traka 21 is an example of a robust self-contained key tracking cabinet ideally suited for:
- Government Institutions
- Hotels and Resorts
- Universities and Colleges
- Guard and Security Companies
- Property Managers
- Automotive Dealerships
- Car Rental Agencies
- Fleet Managers
- Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities